ORGANISED BY THE EUROPEAN UNION IN COLLABORATION WITH THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF SEYCHELLES
UNDER THE HIGH PATRONAGE OF H.E. WAVEL RAMKALAWAN, PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF SEYCHELLES
15th - 16th March 2022 – BlueInvest Africa event
14th March 2022 – “Behind the Doors” event (for investors, upon invitation only)
Republic of Seychelles, Mahe island, Eden Bleu Hotel
Context and Objectives
The blue economy is a very broad concept that encompasses all maritime activities and sectors, both traditional—like fisheries—and emerging—like blue biotechnology—, whether they are based in the marine environment (e.g. shipping, energy generation) or on land (e.g. coastal tourism, ports, land-based aquaculture). If compared to a national economy, global blue economic would be the seventh largest in the world, providing millions of direct jobs and generating significant revenues.
Both Africa and Europe have identified blue economy as a key sector to develop their socio-economic aspirations and achieve the different goals of the 2030 Agenda, notably SDG 14 (Life below water). Continental strategies have been developed in the last decade, and many countries have put forward blue economy policies.
The potential of the blue economy is huge. If put on a sustainable path, the blue economy can become a font of actions and ideas creating innovation, protecting natural resources and supporting a fast and lasting recovery from the pandemic.
Against this background, BlueInvest Africa will provide an opportunity to put forward the African know-how and local skills, business projects and initiatives. The event will be a meeting and exchange point for investment parties, pooled across Europe and Africa, with innovators and entrepreneurs, small-scale businesses and start-ups operating in Africa with the common interest to generate concrete business opportunities, develop sustainable products and services in blue economy sectors. Matchmaking between investors and entrepreneurs, in the form of pitching sessions, will be at the core of the event.
BlueInvest Africa will take place in Seychelles—a leading country in the development of the blue economy. The event results from a partnership between the European Union and this African country that has put the blue economy at the core of its development. This event will be in line with the principles of EU-Africa cooperation, as defined inter alia at the occasion of the forthcoming EU-African Union Summit. Those principles rely on addressing the needs of the African population not just in terms of food security but also on sustainable development and growing economic opportunities available to all.
BlueInvest Africa targets the registered African start-up business companies that are already operating in the various sub-sectors of the blue economy; it targets as well the African Small Micro and Medium sized businesses (SMMEs) not yet officially established in an African country but bearing an innovative idea subject to further commercial development within the African market.
For start-up companies and SMMEs, BlueInvest Africa will provide:
- A unique opportunity to meet other African project holders and SMMEs engaged in blue actions;
- A platform for receiving direct advices from several captains of industry operating in Africa;
- Several side-events on access to financing; award for pitchers; direct contacts with development banks and other financial institutions;
- Coaching and mentoring sessions, networking at large;
- Company publicly named and advertised by the event organiser in the blue business;
- Business opportunities to invest in blue economic projects for sustainable livelihoods;
- A unique event for appraising the climate of African business;
- A direct access to the African countries which already geared up their blue business agenda;
- European and African entrepreneurs for joint future business opportunities.